Wednesday, April 26, 2006

my new spring bag & wallet!

This is a bag I've been wanting to do for some time now. I have joined the sew-along over at sew? i knit! and this was the perfect opportunity to get motivated!

I used denim from an old GAP jean skirt for the outside of my bag. I used my basic tote pattern and added belt loops at each side seam and center front and back. I lined it with a matching blue canvas. I also added a magnetic snap/flap closure. Then the fun began...



































I made 4 interchangable sashes from some gorgeous Kaffe Fasset fabrics I picked up from my local quilt shop. This way, I could just change the sash and use this bag with most everything I wear.

With the leftover sash fabric, I made a stripwork quilted wallet. I used the pattern "A Safe Place" from Favorite Things. I love this pattern! It was really quite simple and I just used scraps from the denim, another purplish fabric and the leftovers from the sashes. I LOVE IT! You can get so much in it and it will match my purse! I highly recommend this pattern. The only thing I did different on it was to add a magnetic snap instead of velcro on the flap.

Now, I just need to learn how to put my photos where I want them to go in my post!

I'm ready to do another quilted project, now! Maybe one of those cute japanese handbags!?


5 comments:

opportunityknits said...

The belt loops and interchangeable fabric sashes are such creative ideas for your bag. It is also so well sewn and neat. It stands up so well, I'm wondering if you used interfacing?
As for moving the photos in blogger, you can click on photo and drag it to where you want.

me said...

Hey, I'm with you about figuring out how to post pictures and put them where you want them. Mine look so random.
But what I really wanted to stop by and say is that I love, love, love your bag and the wallet! I hope you'll continue to post more of your creative goodness.
Take care!

Kimberly said...

That bag is fabulous. I love the idea of the sash. You did such a great job on the wallet too. Love it!

Claudia said...

I saw your wallet over on "sew, I knit" and I am in love with it! Would you consider making one and swapping it with me for fabrics or something else? Take a look at my flickr photos, maybe there´s something there you like or maybe a surprise package for you and your children could woo you???
Contact me at :
kangoo1@gmx.at

Anonymous said...

I have decided I want a wallet, too. What can I trade you? An 11 year old boy? haha It's so beautiful!!! Trudy